In this article, we are going to be discussing Family life education and it’s Importance. We hope you find it educating, interesting and Informative.
What is family Life education.
Family life education is defined by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) as “the educational effort to strengthen individual and family life through a family perspective.
The goal of family life educators is to teach families how to forge happier, healthier relationships. Professionals in this field teach good decision-making, positive self-esteem, and tools that promote strong interpersonal relationships. All of these help families thrive.
It is a kind of community education, both preventive and educational in nature. Its main intention is to educate the people about the family relationship, functions and how the system can be sustained in a better way.
It covers topics like relationships in the family, human development and sexuality, family interactions, family resource management, interpersonal relationships, parenthood, communication, decision making and problem solving and so on.
The skills and knowledge needed for healthy family functioning are widely known.
Family Life Educators have knowledge based in the discipline of Family Science, and they are employed in a variety of settings and roles. They consider societal issues like education, economics, work-family issues, parenting, sexuality and more within the context of the family.
They believe that societal problems like substance abuse, domestic violence, unemployment, debt, and child abuse can be more effectively addressed from a perspective that considers individuals and families as part of larger systems.
Family Life Educators empower families themselves to apply knowledge about healthy family functioning to prevent or minimize problems.
The Operational Principles of Family Life Education
Family life education has certain operational principles. Let us list them one by one.
1) Family life education is related to individuals in the families throughout the lifespan, both as individuals and families.
2) Family life education should be based on the needs of individuals in families.
3) Family life education is a multidisciplinary area of study and practice.
4) Family life education takes an educational rather than therapeutic approach.
5) Family life education should present and respect different family life values.
IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY LIFE EDUCATION
The following reasons can be offered to indicate the importance of family life education in today’s world:
1) Expectations of marriage and family life are changing: When marriage was for economic security and husbands rule the roost, the rules were more simple and straightforward. Expectations for affection were minimal as were options outside marriage. Today, love, companionship and equality are very important.Communication and problem-solving skills have become even more valuable for happiness.
2.Terms of marriage and family are changing: At the turn of the century, the life span was shorter. Marriage revolved around parenting, and couples often drew on the network of family and friends for support. Today, with nuclear families being on the increase in our country, couples are expected to meet their own needs, with minimal extended family support, and coordinate adult growth and roles through 50-60 years.
3) Life doesn’t prepare most persons for new family roles: Couples face more demands and fewer support, but few people learn to be mature and be equal partners in families.
Conflict resolution and problem-solving skills are part of many job-trainings and volunteer groups, yet couple communication remains sorely neglected. Traditional Education prepares a person for 8 hours of his/her working life. A person is actually functioning as a member of a family with an assigned role for a much longer part of the day. What preparation does one receive for this formidable and important role?
4) Benefits of happy family life and adjustment: Research finds happy families have lower rates of illness, depression, and conflict in and outside their marriage. Well-adjusted partners make easier transitions to parenting and tend to be more supportive parents. For most persons, marital satisfaction is the best index of family satisfaction; family satisfaction is the best prediction of well-being.
This Might interest you: Importance of business education
5) Consequences of marital breakdowns: Whether divorced or living under the same roof and being completely separated from each other emotionally, partners, their children, and their relatives experience emotional and financial stress which may have long-term effects. In particular, poverty, continued partner conflict, and isolation from old friends and family can limit the horizon of couples in stress and of their children. Most persons would choose to avoid families where there is no harmony or peace, or take advantage of this situation.
6) Benefits of family life education: Researchers have successfully shown the benefits of training programmes in relation to increased couples’ skills and satisfaction for long-term and lowered marital conflict rates, and reduced family violence rates.
The objective of Family Life Education is to enrich and improve the quality of individual and family life.